Mr. Smith's responsibilities focus on workforce and economic development in food and agriculture. Activities include developing and delivering training programs in partnership with state agencies, businesses and community partners that lead to employment in food and agriculture. US Veterans is a specific target population. Other interests and activities include the development of on-line and blended curricula, including for international development.
Projects and Activities:
- Greenhouse Workforce Needs Assessment in SW Michigan (April 2014)
- Viticulture and Enology Science and Technology Alliance (VESTA) NSF National Center of Excellence – PI (2014-present) & Michigan Coordinator (2009-present)
- Vets to Ag Program Coordinator (2009-present)
- Global Center for Food Systems Innovation – Co-Lead, Skills and Workforce Development (Jan 2013-Dec 2014)
- Food Processing Workforce Development Report (January 2014)
Prior to joining MSU in March of 2008, Mr. Smith was the Executive Director of the Michigan Turfgrass Foundation and the Michigan Ground Water Association. He brings further business experience to his position at MSU, having owned and operated businesses in the green industry and technology transfer for over 30 years. He holds a BS and MS, Crop & Soil Science from MSU.